Mini Tenderflake Calzones
- PREP TIME:
- BAKE TIME:
- TOTAL TIME:
- 2 Packages Tenderflake® Frozen Deep Dish Pie Shells, thawed (4 shells)
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) Vegetable oil
- .5 Red onion, diced 3 Cloves garlic, minced
- 1 (500 g) Package Schneiders® Country Naturals® Hot Sicilian Countryside Sausage, casings removed
- 2 Roasted red peppers, diced
- 1 cup (250 mL) Pearl Bocconcini cheese
- .25 cup (60 mL) Chopped parsley
- .33 cup (80 mL) Freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- .5 cup (125 mL) Ready prepared pasta sauce
- 1 Egg, beaten
- PREHEAT oven to 375°F (190°C). Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.
- HEAT oil in a large pan and gently cook onion until translucent. Add garlic and sausage and cook until meat is cooked through and well browned. Add roasted red peppers and parsley. Remove from heat and stir in Bocconcini, grated Parmesan and pasta sauce. Allow to cool slightly.
- REMOVE pie shells from foil pans onto a lightly floured surface. Roll each to 10" (25 cm) in diameter. Using a plain cookie/biscuit cutter, cut five or six rounds, about 4" (10 cm) in diameter, from each pie shell.
- PLACE 1 tbsp (15 mL) of sausage filling on each circle. Brush edge of pastry with egg, fold in half and seal. Place on baking sheets and bake in preheated oven for 15-20 minutes or until golden.
- Freeze unbaked calzones before brushing with egg. Bake from frozen for an additional 5-10 minutes