Skip to main content
Pub Style Beef Pot Pie
- PREP TIME:
- BAKE TIME:
- TOTAL TIME:
- 1.5 lbs (750 g) Stewing beef
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) Flour Salt and pepper
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) Vegetable oil, divided
- 2 Onions, diced
- 2 Leeks, chopped
- 2 Parsnips, diced
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) Tomato paste
- 2 Sprigs thyme
- 2 Bay leaves
- 2 tsp (10 mL) Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) Balsamic Vinegar
- 1 cup (250 mL) Dark ale
- 1 cup (250 mL) Beef broth or water
- .5 (397 g) Package Tenderflake® Frozen Puff Pastry, defrosted overnight in refrigerator
- 1 Egg, beaten
- TOSS beef with flour, salt and pepper in a large bowl.
- HEAT half of the oil over medium-high in a heavy saucepan. Add beef and cook 1-2 minutes per side until golden brown all over. Do not overcrowd the pan, work in batches if necessary. Remove beef from pan and set aside.
- ADD remaining oil to the pan. Cook onions, leeks and parsnips until soft, about 5-6 minutes. Add tomato paste stir and cook 1-2 minutes. Add thyme, bay leaves, Worcestershire, balsamic, ale, broth and browned beef. Stir to incorporate. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer on low for 1-1/2 hours or until beef is tender. Stir occasionally. Transfer mixture to a 9-inch (23 cm) pie plate and cool slightly.
- PREHEAT oven to 400°F (200°C).
- LIGHTLY flour a work surface and roll out pastry, 2 inches (5 cm) larger than pie plate. Place pastry on top of beef mixture. Turn edges under and pinch to ensure a good seal. Brush top of pastry with beaten egg. Make 3 slits in pastry to allow steam to release.
- BAKE in preheated oven for 25 to 30 minutes or until crust is golden brown and filling is piping hot.