Robin's Egg Lemon Cream Puffs
- PREP TIME:
- BAKE TIME:
- TOTAL TIME:
- .25 cup (60 mL) Sugar
- 1 Egg
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) Fresh lemon juice
- ½ tsp (2 mL) Lemon zest
- Pinch of salt
- 1 ½ tbsp (22 mL) Unsalted butter
- ½ cup (125 mL) Whipping cream (35%)
- 1 Package (397 g) Tenderflake® Frozen Puff Pastry, defrosted
- 24 Multi-coloured malted eggs or jelly beans
- LEMON CREAM:
- WHISK together sugar, egg, lemon juice, lemon zest and salt in a small saucepan. Add butter and cook over medium-low, stirring constantly until mixture is thick enough to coat the back of a spoon. Do not boil. Transfer lemon curd to a bowl and cover the surface with plastic wrap. Chill until cool and firm. This can be made to this point up to two days ahead.
- USING an electric mixer beat whipping cream in a mixing bowl until soft peaks form. Fold whipped cream into lemon curd one-third at a time. Cover and chill for at least one hour or up to two.
- PREHEAT oven to 400°F (200°C).
- CUT pastry in half. Working on a lightly floured work surface, using a lightly floured rolling pin, roll each half to a 6"x7" (15×18 cm) rectangle. Using a 2" (5 cm) round cutter, cut pastry into 12 rounds from each rectangle. Place each round into a mini muffin pan and bake in preheated oven for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown and puffed.
- REMOVE from oven and let cool. When cool, cut each pastry in half horizontally and place a dollop of lemon cream on the bottom of each pastry. Top with a malted Easter egg or a jellybean and the top half of the pastry. Serve immediately.
- If you are using yellow jellybeans, leave the top off - they look like little eggs.