Skip to main content
Shoo Fly Pie
- PREP TIME:
- BAKE TIME:
- TOTAL TIME:
- 5 tsp (2 mL) Baking soda
- .75 cup (175 mL) Boiling water
- 1 cup (250 mL) Black-strap molasses
- 1 Egg, beaten
- .5 cup (125 mL) Brown sugar
- 1.25 cup (300 mL) Flour
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) Tenderflake® Lard, cold
- 1 Tenderflake® Frozen Deep Dish Pie Shell, defrosted
- PREHEAT oven to 375°F (190°C).
- PLACE baking soda in a small bowl. Add boiling water and stir to dissolve. Whisk together molasses and egg in another bowl. Whisk one third of the hot water and soda into the egg mixture. Pour this back into the remaining hot water mixture, whisking constantly to combine. Mix the sugar and flour in a medium bowl, cut in the lard using a pastry cutter or your fingers to create pea-sized crumbs.
- ASSEMBLE by placing one third of the molasses filling in the unbaked pastry shell, add one third of the crumb mixture, and continue alternating and ending with crumb mixture.
- BAKE in preheated oven for 35 minutes.