Skip to main content
Sweet Potato Galette
- PREP TIME:
- BAKE TIME:
- TOTAL TIME:
- 1 block Tenderflake® Puff Pastry
- 6 slices of fresh bacon
- 2 tbsp. (30 mL) maple syrup
- 2 medium sweet potatoes washed and peeled
- 2 yellow onions
- 5 large heirloom carrots washed and peeled
- ¼ cup (60 mL) fresh sage, finely chopped extra leaves for garnish
- 2 tbsp. (30 mL) fresh thyme, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp. (15 mL) olive oil
- ¼ cup (60 mL) & 2 tbsp. (30 mL) butter
- 2 tbsp. (30 mL) brown sugar
- ¼ tsp. (1 mL) nutmeg
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 tbsp. (15 mL) pepper
- ¼ cup (60 mL) chicken stock
- ½ tsp. (2 mL) cornstarch
- 3 tbsp. (45 mL) flour
- 2 tbsp. (30 mL) black sesame seeds
- Crème Fresh for serving
- Thaw puff pastry according to package instructions. Preheat oven to 400°F. Line a baking tray with parchment paper and set aside.
- Place bacon onto lined tray, drizzle with maple syrup. Cook for 6 minutes, flip and cook for another 6 minutes. Allow bacon to cool completely before chopping.
- Thinly slice potato, onions and carrots into 1/8-inch thick rounds. Artfully place potato and carrots into a 9-inch oven safe pan.
- In a medium sauté pan over medium high heat, cook onion with 2 tbsp. butter and olive oil until tender, 3-5 minutes. Stir in brown sugar and cook for 8-10 minutes until onion is golden brown. Add remaining butter, herbs, nutmeg, garlic, pepper and chicken stock and cornstarch cook until fragrant, 5 minutes. Pour herbed sauce over potato and carrot slices.
- Dust your work surface with flour; using a lightly floured rolling pin, roll out pastry into a 10×10-inch square. Lay pastry on top of vegetables, place pan into the oven and bake for 20- 25 minutes until pastry is golden brown and puffed.
- Allow pan to cool for 10 minutes. Gently overturn tatin onto serving dish. Top with chopped bacon and a dollop of crème fresh. Sprinkle with sesame seeds and fresh sage leaves. Serve slices with extra crème fresh if desired. Enjoy!