UPSIDE DOWN APPLE PECAN PIE
- PREP TIME:
- BAKE TIME:
- TOTAL TIME:
- 2 Tenderflake® Frozen Deep Dish Pie Shells
- 1 cup (250 mL) pecans
- 1/3 cup (75 mL) + 4 tbsp. (60 mL) butter
- 1/2 (125 mL) cup + 2 tbsp. (30 mL) packed brown sugar
- 3 cups (750 mL) apples - peeled, cored and sliced
- 2 tsp. (10 mL) freshly grated gingerroot
- 1/4 tsp. (1 mL) ground cinnamon
- Thaw pie shells according to package instructions. Remove first pie shell from foil plate and set aside. Reserve foil plate. Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Melt 1/3 cup of butter. In a medium sized bowl, whisk together melted butter and brown sugar until smooth. Stir in pecans.
- Pour pecan mixture into the center of reserved foil plate and top with first pie shell.
- Melt 4 tbsp. of butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Stir in apples, brown sugar, cinnamon and ginger. Cook, stirring for 2-3 minutes or until soft.
- Arrange the warm apple mixture on top of the pie shell in the pan. Remove second pie shell from foil plate and with the bottom of the shell facing upwards; place on top of apple mixture. Press edges to seal and flute. Transfer pie to a baking tray and cut slits in the top pie shell to allow steam to escape.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from the oven and allow to cool for 10 -15 minutes. Invert the pie onto a serving plate. Slice and serve warm. Enjoy!