Asparagus, Red Pepper and Mushroom Quiche
- PREP TIME:
- BAKE TIME:
- TOTAL TIME:
- 1 Tenderflake® All Vegetable Shortening Deep Dish Pie Shell
- 1 tbsp. (15ml) vegetable oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 lb (450g) fresh asparagus, trimmed and cut in 1" (2.5cm) pieces
- 1 small sweet red pepper, cut in strips
- 1 1/4 cups (300ml) sliced mushrooms
- 1 1/2 cups (375ml) shredded Cheddar cheese
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup (250ml) milk
- 2 tbsp. (30ml) chopped fresh basil
- 1 tsp (2.5ml) salt
- Thaw pastry shell at room temperature 15 minutes. Place on baking sheet.
- Preheat oven to 425°F (220°C).
- Heat oil in large frying pan over medium-high heat. Sauté onion, asparagus, peppers and mushrooms until tender-crisp, stirring often, about 5 minutes.
- Sprinkle half of cheese in pie shell. Spoon vegetables on top. Cover with remaining cheese.
- Beat remaining ingredients together to blend. Pour over vegetable mixture.
- Bake on lower rack of preheated oven 10 minutes, then reduce temperature to 350°F (180°C) and bake 30-35 minutes longer or until filling is set. Cool 10 minutes, then slice and serve warm.