Skip to main content
Bacon Mac and Cheese Pie
- PREP TIME:
- BAKE TIME:
- TOTAL TIME:
- 2 Tenderflake® Vegetable Shortening pie shells
- 2 cups (500 mL) Elbow Macaroni Noodles
- 4 cups (1L) water
- 6 Thick Slices of good bacon
- 1/4-cup (60 mL) butter
- 1/4-cup (60 mL) flour
- 1/2 tsp. nutmeg
- 3 tsp. (15 mL) fresh thyme reserve 1 tsp. for topping
- 2 cups (500 mL) of milk
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) of cream
- 3 cups (750 mL) of white cheddar cheese
- 1 tsp. (5 mL) pepper
- pinch of Salt
- 1 tbsp. (15 mL) grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 egg for egg wash
- Pre-heat oven to 400 Degrees F. Set a plate aside with paper towel. Set pie shells on a baking tray and set aside. In a small bowl whisk egg and brush edges of piecrust.
- Line a baking tray with parchment and cook bacon for 7 minutes, flip and cook for another 7 minutes. Remove from oven and set bacon on paper towel. Once cooled, roughly chop into 1/2 inch pieces and set aside.
- In a medium sauce pot bring water to a gentle boil. Cook pasta for 8 minutes. Drain and set aside.
- In a large sauce pan, over medium high heat, melt butter. Add flour and whisk continuously for 3 minutes. Continue whisking and slowly add 1 cup of milk. Once flour is dissolved add remaining milk and cream. Add cheese, 2 tsp. thyme, salt, pepper and nutmeg. Continue to whisk until cheese is fully melted and sauce has thickened. Add noodles and bacon and stir to combine. Pour mixture into one pie shell.
- Gently invert second pie shell and place on top of pie filling. Gently press shell over noodles. Press edges together, fluting the edges for a decorative design. Brush top with egg wash. Cut slits in the top to allow hot air to escape and sprinkle with remaining thyme and Parmesan cheese.
- Bake pie for 18-20 minutes until crust is golden brown. Remove and allow pie to rest 5 minutes before slicing. Serve warm and enjoy.