Cadbury Creme Egg inspired Easter Tarts
- PREP TIME:
- BAKE TIME:
- TOTAL TIME:
- 12 Tenderflake tart shells (1 pkg)
- ¼ cup (60 mL) corn syrup
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) butter, softened
- Pinch salt
- 1 ¼ cup (300 mL) Confectioner's sugar
- 6 drops yellow food colouring
- 1 drop red food colouring
- 2 cups (500 mL) milk chocolate chips
- BAKE tart shells according to package instructions. Set aside.
- MIX the corn syrup, butter and salt in a large bowl with a stand mixer or hand mixer on medium speed. Add the powdered sugar, Œ cup at a time until well blended. Note: if you are using a hand mixer, the filling will be quite stiff and it's easiest to blend in the last bit of sugar by hand.
- REMOVE 1/3 of the mixture (approx. Œ cup) and place in a small bowl. Add the food colouring and mix well to blend. Divide each of the fillings into 12 balls (about 1 tsp (5 mL) each) and chill on a parchment lined baking sheet while preparing the tart shells.
- POUR chocolate chips into a microwavable bowl and heat at 30 second intervals, stirring after each until the chocolate is creamy and smooth. Pour 1 tsp (5 mL) into each tart shell, using a brush or spoon to cover the sides and bottom of each shell with chocolate. Let cool 15 minutes. Set remaining chocolate aside.
- WORK with one ball at a time, flatten a white ball out and place an orange ball in the center; fold the edges of the white filling around each orange ball so it's enclosed and place them, seam side down into the tart. Repeat with remaining filling and tart shells.
- SPOON 1 tsp (5 mL) of the remaining chocolate over each tart to enrobe the filling in chocolate. (You may have to reheat the chocolate as necessary. Let sit 15 minutes before serving.
- Tips: Will keep for up to one week in an airtight container