Skip to main content
- PREP TIME:
- BAKE TIME:
- TOTAL TIME:
- 2 TENDERFLAKE® Deep Dish Frozen Pie Shells
- 15 ml Olive oil
- 500 g Extra lean ground beef
- 15 ml Chili powder
- 5 ml Cumin
- 1 Clove garlic, chopped
- 125 ml Finely diced green pepper
- 125 ml Finely diced onion
- 45 ml Flour
- 398 ml Can chopped tomatoes
- 540 ml Can kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 175 ml Shredded Tex Mex cheese, divided
- Salt and Pepper to Taste
- PREHEAT oven to 400°F (200°C). Bake one pie shell according to package directions for a baked pie shell. Remove from oven and set aside to cool slightly. Allow second pie shell to defrost at room temperature.
- HEAT oil in a large non-stick skillet over medium -high heat. Add beef and break apart with a wooden spoon. Cook until beef is no longer pink. Drain, if necessary, and return to pan.
- ADD chili powder, cumin, garlic, pepper, onion and flour. Stir to combine and cook for 1 to 2 minutes. Add tomatoes, kidney beans, salt and pepper and cook for 3 to 5 minutes. Mixture will be thick.
- FILL baked pie shell with chili mixture and top with Œ cup (50 mL) shredded cheese. Carefully remove thawed pie shell from foil and place on top of chili, pressing down gently. It may crack slightly at the edges. Pinch or flute edge to seal top and bottom crust. Sprinkle with remaining œ cup (125 mL) shredded cheese. Cut several slits in top crust to allow steam to escape.
- PLACE on baking sheet and bake in preheated oven for 20 to 25 minutes or until cheese is melted and pastry is golden brown.
- REMOVE from oven and allow to stand for 5 minutes before cutting. Serve with your favourite Mexican toppings on the side.