Cranberry Vanilla Custard Tarts
- PREP TIME:
- BAKE TIME:
- TOTAL TIME:
- Cranberry Vanilla Custard Tarts
- 1 box Tenderflake® Tart Shells
- 2/3 cup (170 mL) fine sugar
- 4 egg yolks
- 3 tbsp. (45 mL) cornstarch
- 3 cups (750 mL) heavy cream
- 1 cup (250 mL) whole milk
- 1 vanilla bean
- White chocolate curls
- Mint leaves
- Sugared Cranberries
- 1 cup (250 mL) sugar
- 1/3 cup (85 mL) water
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) cranberries
- Bake shells according to package instructions. Set aside.
- In a medium sized bowl, whisk together sugar, cornstarch, and egg yolks.
- In a large saucepan over medium high heat, add milk and cream. Split vanilla bean down the center and run the knife along the inside of the bean to remove vanilla seeds; add bean and seeds to milk. Bring milk to a gentle simmer, roughly 5 minutes. Remove vanilla bean.
- Whisking continuously, slowly add warmed milk into egg mixture. Return mixture to the saucepan and cook over medium-high heat. Whisk until thickened and custard coats the back of a spoon, roughly 5-7 minutes. Pour custard into a medium sized bowl, cover and cool completely.
- Using a piping bag generously fill each tart shell with custard. Garnish with 3 -4 sugared cranberries, white chocolate shavings and fresh mint leaves.
- Tips: Sugared Cranberries
- In a small saucepan, over medium high heat, melt 1/2 cup sugar with 1/3 cup water until thickened, for 8 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in and coat cranberries.
- Using a slotted spoon remove cranberries and transfer to a parchment lined baking tray. Pour reserved sugar over cranberries, use a spoon to coat roll and coat cranberries.