Savoury Farmhouse Turkey Pie
- PREP TIME:
- BAKE TIME:
Cook Time1hr 20
- TOTAL TIME:
Total Time1hr 40
- 1 Package TENDERFLAKE Puff Pastry - thaw according to package directions
- 1 Package TENDERFLAKE Deep Dish Pie Shells - thawed according to package directions
- 3 ½ Pounds (1.6 Kg) of Turkey Breast
- ½ Pound (.23 Kg) Bacon
- 1 Cup (250 mL) All Purpose flour
- 2 Tablespoons (30 mL) Olive Oil
- 2 Onions - Chopped
- 4 Carrots - Peeled and Sliced
- 4 Potatoes - Peeled and Thinly Sliced
- Salt and Pepper, to taste
- 2 Cups (500 mL) Stock
- 1 Egg beaten with 2 Tablespoons (30 mL) Water for Pastry Wash
- PREHEAT oven to 375°F (190°C)
- Slice the Turkey Breast into thick slices, length-wise on the breast, then, cut into chunks
- Cut the Bacon into lardons (ie small strips or cubes). Heat the oil over medium high heat in a pan and fry up the Bacon Lardons until crispy and golden in colour. Transfer to paper towel lined plate to drain. Reserving bacon fat in pan
- Toss the Turkey chunks with 2/3 Cups (180 mL) of Flour, Salt and Pepper. Saute in pan, with reserved bacon fat until golden crispy and cooked through, along with Onions and Carrots for a few minutes until golden on all sides. Remove and set aside with cooked Bacon.
- Arrange Thinly Sliced Potato Slices on a baking sheet, coat with Olive Oil and season with Salt and Pepper, to taste. Roast at 375°F (190°C) for 20 minutes. Remove from Oven and keep Oven heated.
- With the remaining fat - oil in the pan, mix in the remaining 1/3 Cup (80 mL) of Flour, Salt and Pepper. Cooking until it mixture resembles cookie crumbs. Add Stock and heat until thickened. Add in Onions and Carrots. Cook on Medium High Heat for 10-15 minutes to soften. Add in Cooked Turkey and Bacon.
- Arrange Potato Slices in the Bottom of Pie Crust. Reserving a few for the top layer.
- Egg Wash the visible crust edge. Roll out Puff Pastry and drape over each pie. Seal well and crimp the edges and vent the top of each pie with a fork
- Bake at 375°F (190°C) for 40 Minutes
- Cover the Pastry with foil, if it starts to darken too much
- Reduce Oven to 350°F (180°C) and cook for additional 40 minutes