Strawberry Rhubarb Lattice Pie
- PREP TIME:
- BAKE TIME:
- TOTAL TIME:
- 2 Tenderflake® Frozen Deep Dish Pie Shells
- ½ cup (125 mL) All purpose flour
- 1 cup (250 mL) Sugar
- 1 lb (450 g) Chopped fresh rhubarb (4 cups fresh chopped)
- 2 cups (500 mL) Quartered strawberries
- 1 tsp (5 mL) Vanilla
- 2 tsp (10 mL) Freshly grated gingerroot
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) Cold butter, cut into cubes
- 1 Egg, beaten
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) Sugar or course sugar
- MIX together flour and sugar in a large bowl. Add rhubarb, strawberries, ginger and vanilla. Toss to coat. Set aside and let stand for 20-30 minutes.
- MEANWHILE preheat the oven to 400°F (200°C). Place the filling into one of the pie shells. Scatter the cold butter over top.
- GENTLY pry the other pie shell from the foil tray and turn onto a lightly floured work surface. Using a lightly floured rolling pin, roll the pie shell to about 10" (25 cm) in diameter. Using a sharp knife or a pizza cutter cut the pie shell into 1" (2.5 cm) strips. Weave the strips on top of the pie in a lattice fashion. Trim the ends even with the bottom crust and seal closed. Brush the pastry with the beaten egg and sprinkle with additional sugar.
- BAKE in preheated oven for 35-40 minutes or until bubbly and the pastry is golden brown. Cool on a rack prior to serving.
- Tips: TIP: For a real homemade look, transfer pie from foil pan into your own 9" (23 cm) pie plate.