Skip to main content
- PREP TIME:
- BAKE TIME:
- TOTAL TIME:
- 1 pkg Tenderflake puff pastry
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 8 cups (2L) vegetable oil, for frying
- Glaze :
- 1 ½ cups (375 mL) icing sugar
- ¼ cup (60 mL) milk
- 2 tsp (10 mL) pure vanilla extract
- Roll out each sheet of pastry to make a 12-inch square. Brush each sheet with egg and then fold each into thirds (like a letter) and place into a parchment lined baking sheet. Chill in the refrigerator for 15-20 min.
- Heat oil in a deep fryer or saucepan until it reaches 350F (180C).
- Using a 2œ-inch round cutter, cut each folded pastry into 6 rounds and with a 1-inch circle in the center to make the cronuts. (The inside rounds can be used to make cronut bites)
- Place the cronuts in the oil in batches (Keep remaining cronuts in the fridge until you are ready to cook them), flipping them occasionally with a slotted spoon, until puffed and golden, about 5 minutes. Remove them from the oil and place on a paper towel-lined baking sheet. Repeat with remaining pastry.
- Sift icing sugar into a medium sized bowl to make the glaze. Slowly whisk in the milk and vanilla to make a smooth, glossy glaze.
- Dip each warm cronut into the glaze and place on cooling rack until ready to serve.
- Tip: These are best served warm/room temperature on the same day they are made.. The cronuts can be made ahead and kept wrapped in the freezer ready to be fried at the last minute.