Skip to main content
Two Bite Tourtières
- PREP TIME:
- BAKE TIME:
- TOTAL TIME:
- 1 package Tenderflake® Frozen Mini Tart Shells
- 1 package Tenderflake® Frozen Deep Dish Pie Shells
- 1/2 lb (250 g) Lean ground pork
- 1 Onion, finely chopped
- 1 Carrot, finely grated
- 4 Garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tsp (5 mL) Salt
- 3/4 tsp (3 mL) Celery seed
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) Ground pepper
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) Allspice
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) Ground cloves
- 3/4 cup (175 mL) Apple cider or juice
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) Mashed potatoes
- 1 egg
- DEFROST tart and pie shells according to package directions. Place tart shells on baking sheet.
- PREHEAT the oven to 350°F (180°C).
- CRUMBLE pork into a large, nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Cook, breaking the meat into small pieces with a wooden spoon, until browned. Drain off any excess fat.
- ADD onion, carrot, garlic, salt, celery seed, pepper, allspice and cloves. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes. Stir in cider and potatoes; reduce heat and simmer, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes or until thickened. Remove from the heat; cool to room temperature.
- DIVIDE pork mixture evenly between tarts shells.
- REMOVE pie shells from foil plates onto a lightly floured surface. Using a 2-1/2 inch (6 cm) cookie cutter, cut 9 rounds from each pie shell.
- BEAT egg with 1 tbsp (15 mL) water. Brush a bit of the egg wash around edge of each filled tart shell and top with a pastry round. Crimp the edges with a fork to seal. Brush the tops with the remaining egg wash and score an "X" in the centre of each mini pie.
- BAKE on lowest rack, for 30 to 35 minutes or until golden brown.
- Tips: TIP: Pies can be made ahead and frozen on a baking sheet until firm. Transfer to an airtight container and reserve in the freezer for up to 1 month. Defrost and reheat in a 350°F (180°C) oven for 5 to 10 minutes.